Friday 18 February 2011

BOOK 8/150

Last Night At Chateau Marmont-Lauren Weisberger

As a massive fan of Lauren Weisberger I am always disappointed that more of her books don't exist. I realise that there are probably less because she focuses on the books that she publishes being of higher quality which is of course admirable. I have saved this book for a few weeks so that I could read it as a real treat. I started reading it during the end of my revision period and finished it very shortly after my exams. This in itself is a credit to the book as I am a fairly slow reader but I managed to read this very quickly.

I always find Lauren's style easy to read and the subject matter of this book sucked me in like no other. The book focuses on the lives of Brooke and Julian. Brooke attempting to support her husband in the start of his music career by working two jobs. Their lives change forever when he is signed as an artist by Sony and the book follows the couple as what should be the happiest times of their lives creates turmoil and distress within their relationship. It brings to the forefront of your mind just what a life followed by paparazzi would be like and that even when dreams come true they aren't always what you imagined they would be.

Written in her usual slick style you find yourself empathizing with Brooke but the one thing that this book lacked, unlike her other novels, was the razor-sharp wit that she was renowned for from the Devil wears Prada. This said I still really enjoyed it and it was nice to see Weisberger produce a departure from her other novels.

I'm going to go for a 4/5 as for me it just wasn't quite as good as Chasing Harry Winston or The Devil Wears Prada. Even if you haven't read one of her books though I would definitely give it a go and see what you think

-Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment