Thursday 3 February 2011

BOOK 4/150


The Diving-Bell And The Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Having finished this book yesterday I have spent some time pondering just how I can review this book and summarise just what this book symbolises and how remarkable it actually is. I will start with the subject matter, it is a real-life account of Jean-Dominique Bauby. At the tender age of 43 he suffered a massive stroke which left him completely paralysed. He was then diagnosed as having "locked-in" syndrome. Whilst being unable to physically move other than the blinking of his left eyelid he dictated the entire book purely by this ordinarily simple movement. The accounts of him wishing to talk to his two young children and his wife are simply heartbreaking.

Whilst trapped in his "cocoon"- like state his mind races and we are told of memorable accounts from his time as the editor-in-chief of French Elle. It is an incredible memoir of a man's triumph over the obvious barricades that he faces with the most admirable grit and sheer determination. The stunning imagery cannot help but propel you through the book and I came to the end without even realising how many pages and just how much time had passed. This said it is only around 100 pages and can easily be devoured in one sitting.

Bauby passed away in 1997 but his legacy lived on in the form of the ALIS (Association Du Locked-In Syndrome) a foundation that he set up from his hospital bed.

This book has truly opened my eyes and will stay with me far into the future. It makes me want to seize my own life in my hands and run with it taking a mental picture of every moment as I go. I cannot really find the words to say the effect it had on me personally but I am sure everyone that reads this will be touched. It will lead you to examine your own life and lead you to fall back in love with it. I encourage you to experience it for yourself as it really is a book that should be treasured.

I would give this 5 stars, something you will see in the future I do not do very often

- Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment