Thursday 10 February 2011

BOOK 5/150

The Hand That First Held Mine – Maggie O’Farrell

The Hand That First Held Mine is a stunning exploration of two women’s lives which are interestingly intertwined and also a very captivating look at childhood memories and family bonds.

I think I can say pretty much undoubtedly that this is the best book I have read in a long time, and probably since I read another of Maggie’s books last year. Her books are completely in a league of their own, I enjoy many genres of books, but nothing will ever come close to how I feel about hers.

I really can’t criticise anything in this book; it is beautifully written, with an amazing story which is just so real. I can’t get over how much I loved the characters and how I felt for them. I really felt like I was there with them, through two generations. The two stories tied up beautifully and are seriously touching, they made me cry and long to reach out and get involved with the individuals.

I can’t urge you enough to read this book, even if you have never read anything by Maggie O’Farrell before, it is just simply a beautiful piece of work which hugely deserved the Costa Novel Award which it recently received.

I ended up taking the book everywhere with me last week as I couldn’t bear to leave it at home and miss an opportunity to sneak in a bit more reading. I’d like to thank the lovely people at Headline Publishers for sending me the book to read and review. You can check them out here: http://twitter.com/#!/Headlinechiclit

A definite 5 out of 5 stars for this one!

-Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment